What should I do if my dog whines?
The ways of how to deal with whining are closely connected to the reasons causing it.
Dog's whining can irritate the owner, but it is usually a signal that something is wrong.
- If you think your dog may be ill, consult with a veterinarian asap and follow his recommendations.
- If the dog whines because of discomfort, it is necessary to understand the cause and eliminate it.
- The owner should ask himself: is my dog bored? Are all its needs satisfied? Is it entertained enough? Does it have enough toys? Is it able to behave like a dog? Is it being walked enough? Do I spend enough time with it?
- If solitude is unbearable for your doggy, check whether all its 5 freedoms are observed. There are also some very mild techniques that help the dog to cope with anxiety caused by separation from the owner.
- If the dog whines only to draw your attention (and you are 100% sure of that and excluded any other possible reasons), ignore these attempts but pay enough attention when it demonstrates the desired behavior (for example, quietly lies).
- If your dog cannot handle its excitement, it is your duty to teach it to control itself. You can do it with the help of many games and exercises that are pleasant and useful at the same time.
You should understand why the dog whines, and create the conditions in which this behavior is unnecessary.